Thursday, August 22, 2013

Carnival

When I was a kid, going to the carnival was like an otherworldly experience for me. I had the pleasure of going tonight, as a twenty-five year old adult, and I have to say that I felt almost the same way.

After my husband and I paid our entry fees, we made our way over to the track to watch the demolition derby. Being in the stands with what looked like half of the town was an experience in itself. The derby is not something I would normally be into, but there was something about the smell of elephant ears and hotdogs, the sound of the engines revving up, and the sight of all the smiling faces around me that made me feel like there wasn't anywhere else I'd rather be on a Thursday night.

Once the derby reached its frenzied finale, my husband and I decided to take a stroll around the midway. We stood by and watched while little children attempted to dunk their teachers and coaches with the throw of a softball. We watched as teenage boys shot basketball hoops to win their teenage girlfriends an oversized stuffed animal. We saw people of all ages riding the rides and screaming, as if they were six years old again.

The carnival truly is an experience for the senses, but not just because of the flashing lights or loud music. It is because of the unanimous feeling of bliss that is shared by the young and the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment